Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Birthing Class - First Night of Four

It was our first night at the Prepared Childbirth class at the hospital where I'll deliver. The teacher is awesome. She was a Labor & Delivery nurse for 5 years, but decided to leave the nursing world to teach special education for Kinder-2nd graders. She still teaches the birthing classes for fun, and I'm glad she does! She's hilarious. There are several of us in the class that are all teachers. Surprisingly, I'm one of the younger 1st-time moms in the class, and at almost 29 years old I was kind of shocked by that. Tonight we learned mostly about pregnancy discomforts that are common in the third trimester, as well as warning signs of things that could lead to problems. She taught us about Braxton-Hicks and gave us the overview of what "real" contractions will be like and the purpose they serve. Turns out I have had a couple of Braxton-Hicks contractions recently. One was at school the other day, and one was at home the following day.

I'm really looking forward to the next three Wednesday nights. She said she's going to teach us so much about everything that we will feel over-prepared... I'm not sure if that is really possible, but let's hope there is at least some truth to that statement.

Hollis has a huge case of hiccups right now- and I can totally feel it (and see it) all on the left side of my belly. Poor guy- he gets hiccups about 2-3 times every day, but not usually this severe or fast. They're barely 2 seconds apart.

I'm going to have to call it a night soon- I'm super tired. Sweet dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Hiccups are a good thing in the belly... though uncomfortable! They mean his lungs are developing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun!!!! Can you let me know when you are having a baby shower at work so that I can come to it?? I would love to see everyone and also shower you with gifts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete