Saturday, December 19, 2009

Pregnancy and Exercise

Today marks the beginning of my 24th week pregnant. Hard to believe it is flying by so fast! I've continued teaching my classes at the gym 5 days a week, but with a number of modifications along the way. For example- lighter weights, lower step, no crunches, and only a very modified push-up (the kind on your knees with your butt up in the air- basically set up on all fours so it doesn't make my core muscles work at all). No more jumping jacks or jump kicks or jumping knees in BodyCombat. I've lowered the impact and intensity level to keep myself safe and keep my heart rate lower than usual. In order to get ready for other instructors taking over my classes, I had to decide when I would need to give up each program I teach. BodyStep will go first, as I can only teach that one comfortably through January. BodyCombat will follow one month later since my boss found someone to temporarily cover my Saturday morning class until I'm ready to return. I've taught that class at that time since we first started the program, so I really wanted to make sure I got that one back. I plan to teach Combat through the month of February, so hopefully all goes well and I accomplish that goal. (The end of February is right around my 34th week pregnant.) Last to go will be my BodyPump classes. I still don't know if they will be turned over to instructors who plan to keep them, or to someone willing to give them back to be down the road, but I figure it will take me some time to get used to my new routine anyway. Eventually a scheduling conflict arises for someone and re-opens a class, I just hope that happens with a class I can teach. I know my whole life, schedule, energy level and priorities will change after Hollis gets here. I just want to be able to teach a couple times a week so I can get a little bit if exercise and stress relief! I think I've just about seen the end of teaching 5 classes a week. It was fun while it lasted! When all my kids are grown I'll go back to a busy class schedule. Until then, who knows?!

No comments:

Post a Comment