Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ahh, They think they are so smart...

So it's our first week back, kids are working on reviews and preparing for final exams. I tell the kids today what I tell them all the time: "The harder you work in class, the more you get done. The more you get done, the less you have to work on at home." Why are there always kids who think that is synonymous to "Stay lazy. Cheat off your neighbors. Get all the answers whithout doing any of the work." I guess that will never totally change. What I really want to say to them when I see them doing that, but I would never say this out loud, is this: "Hey brat. Ever wonder why you have the lowest grades in class? Hmmm, maybe it's because you don't do ANYTHING to learn a new skill that is not only going to be on this exam, but will be in your math classes for the next 4 years, and potentially be used for the REST OF YOUR LIFE." What is also funny is that they think we don't see them doing exactly what we just told them not to do. Like I didn't notice that "Sally" has no review sheet on her desk at the moment, but she sure is watching you fly through your packet at lightning speed. I have a supplement to their review packet they got, and I am trying the activity Thursday/Friday. Let's hope it works as planned so that everyone ends up productive and engaged in learning and hopefully more prepared for the tests next week. Some of my kids are so dedicated, competitive, and gifted. Others, I wonder how they will make it out of high school with the attitude they have now- let's all pray that they finally grow up one day before it is too late!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment